How to Prevent Phishing Attacks
Defending your organization from phishing should be a high priority for your business. About 90% of corporate security breaches are due to phishing attacks. If you are defenseless, attackers can access sensitive business information, such as customer information, financial information, company strategies, and more.
But what is phishing? How can you prevent phishing attacks from happening to your business? At Employer Support Services, we want you to know how to prevent phishing attacks and protect your sensitive data and employee and customer information from getting into the wrong hands.
[Related: 9 HR Mistakes Startups Commonly Make]
What is Phishing?
Phishing is a cybercrime that involves deceiving individuals into revealing sensitive business information, like passwords and credit card numbers, by posing as a trusted entity. These attacks often take the form of fake emails or websites that appear to be from well-known organizations, like banks or popular online retailers.
What You Need to Know About Phishing
To prevent phishing attacks, you need to be aware these attacks can happen to anyone and come from anywhere. Scams can originate from anywhere in the world and target your organization. As long as you and your employees are connected to the internet, you are susceptible to a phishing scam.
Phishing is becoming increasingly sophisticated. Attackers use more advanced tactics, such as creating fake websites that look identical to real ones or creating fraudulent phone numbers, using voice-altering software, and sending text messages to steal sensitive information. Making your staff aware of the different types of attacks will be the first line of defense when preventing a phishing attack.
How to Prevent a Phishing Attack: 5 Helpful Tips
Phishing can result in severe consequences for your business, such as identity theft, financial loss, and even damage to your reputation. Learning how to prevent a phishing attack is important to protect your business. Here are five ways to prevent a phishing attack:
- Educating yourself and your staff is the most important step in preventing a phishing attack. Stay informed about the latest phishing tactics and learn to spot and avoid these scams.
- Be cautious of unsolicited emails or messages. If you receive a message from an unknown source, be wary of clicking on any links or attachments.
- Verify the sender’s identity. Before providing personal information, ensure you know who you’re communicating with.
- Use strong and unique passwords. Having strong and unique passwords for each of your online accounts will make it much harder for attackers to access your sensitive information.
- Keep your software and security measures up-to-date. Regularly updating your software and security measures can help prevent scammers from exploiting vulnerabilities in your system.
Contact ESS to Help Prevent Phishing Attacks at Your Business
Phishing is a severe threat that can significantly harm your business. It is important to be aware of these attacks and prevent phishing attacks to protect your employees and sensitive business information.
HR can be vital in educating your employees and minimizing potential risks. Contact us if you need help informing your staff and taking proactive measures. Call ESS at 225-364-3000 to help prevent phishing attacks at your organization.